Friday, February 8, 2013

Page; Target

So, this is a scene I wrote a while back that was going to be toward the end of TARGET. However, in getting to know them more, I found that it wasn't in character for Robyn or Lex. So, this scene has been cut, and will be rewritten. BUT I still have it, and it's cute, so here you go. Hope you like it!

-Page

*****

Robyn’s first recollection was of stiffness. Her body was sore all over, and tired, though she felt she’d slept for days. When she opened her eyes, she saw deep purple hangings above her, and bars of a four-poster bed on each side. She must be in the palace. Looking around further, her thought was confirmed.

Lex sat in a chair at the foot of her bed. He looked as though he’d placed himself as close as possible, without actually touching her. She smiled, half-wishing he would.

Jeffrey stood near a large fireplace across the elegantly decorated room. He rocked back and forth on his feet, looking more nervous than she’d ever seen him.

“Lex?”

His head shot up at her voice, and Jeffrey turned.

“You’re awake! Oh thank God.” He rose from his chair and came to kneel at her side. He took her hand in his and kissed it passionately. She was shocked, but found it pleasant. A blush crept into her cheeks.

“How are you feeling, lady?” Jeffrey asked.

She shifted under the thick blankets. “Sore, and my ribs ache.” As she twisted, a cry  escaped her lips, and she remembered the arrow that pierced her. She sighed, letting the soft bed envelop her again. “How long was I unconscious?”

“Not long, it’s noon of the day after,” Lex said. “Thank you for that, by the way.”

She looked into his unsure eyes. “You’re welcome.”

He took a breath and stood. His body was tense, as though he were steeling himself for something.

“In the morning,” he said, “I will publicly renounce my engagement to Carina.”

Robyn blinked and narrowed her eyes, surprised. “You were engaged?”

Lex’s cheeks turned red. “Well, yes. Legally I was.”

She watched him, not letting her emotion show. Lex swallowed as he knelt. He cleared his throat. “Tradition dictates that I ask your guardian for permission before I ask you for your hand in marriage.”

Robyn’s eyes widened.

Lex’s mouth curved slightly. “I… I took the liberty of asking Jeffrey, since he seemed to be the one of all your men who watched over you and knew you best.”

She looked to Jeffrey who was grinning openly, then back to Lex, and nodded.

“And I said yes.” Jeffrey nodded.

Lex’s mouth broke into a bright smile. “And so, I would love to announce tomorrow that I have found a bride. Will you grant me your hand in marriage?”

Robyn allowed her mouth to form a timid smile, then she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. She grasped his hair and pulled him close to her so he sat on the bed. His hands were warm and gentle on her waist. He nuzzled his face into her neck, allowing his lips to brush lightly on her collarbone.

“Oi, I’m still here,” came Jeffrey’s voice. Robyn opened her eyes and smiled at him past Lex’s shoulder.

Lex leaned away without letting go of her waist. “You don’t have to be, you know...”

~ Cut scene, TARGET, WIP by Darci Cole

4 comments:

  1. Oh Darci! I hope you'll let me read this when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steamy, without it being obvious. I really like the characters already! I wanted more! - Lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should like to read the rest of this!

    ReplyDelete